Chicken tetrazzini is an amazing comfort food. Yet I know that all the butter and cream that goes into a traditional chicken tetrazzini is probably not too great for my arteries. Time to come up with a healthy twist to this dish!
I used vegetable noodles instead of linguine or pasta, and I pulled back on the butter and heavy cream. The dish was light and delicious–perfect for a weeknight dinner. Plenty of leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
Healthy Chicken Tetrazzini
Makes 6 Servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes; Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
- 1/2 to 1 pound of chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 2 medium zucchini, spirlaized or julienned
- 1/2 of a medium butternut squash, spiralized or julienned (use the neck of the squash only)
- 1 medium yukon potato, spiralized or julienned
- 1/2 cup yellow onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup shredded three cheese blend (add more if necessary)
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Place olive oil in a deep saute pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, place onions in the pan.
- When the onions start to become translucent, add the garlic, butternut squash, yukon potatoes, and zucchini noodles to the pan. Saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the frozen peas, and cook until the peas are no longer frozen (about 2 minutes).
- Turn of the heat and mix in the shredded chicken breast.
- Add in the milk, cheese, thyme, salt, and pepper and stir until everything is evenly distributed.
- Pour everything into the baking dish and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the squash and potatoes can be easily pierced. Start checking the dish at about 20 minutes. The dish may be ready sooner, depending on your oven.
- Remove from oven, and drain excess broth. The zucchini releases a lot of water as it is baking. The broth is quite tasty, so save it for other dishes if you like!
- Feel free to use any kind of cheese or milk that you want for the dish. I might add ricotta cheese the next time I make this dish.
- Add any other dried herbs that you want to the dish.