NUTRITION INFORMATION: Amount for 1/10th of Recipe: Calories: 428, Total Fat 20.5g, Saturated Fat: 11.4g, Cholesterol: 51mg, Sodium: 719mg, Total Carbohydrate: 45.5g, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 8.5g, Protein 15.8g
- You can substitute baby kale with chopped kale, baby spinach, or chopped swiss chard.
- I can usually find panko in the Asian section of most supermarkets. You can also find panko in Asian supermarkets.
- Cook sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot: Add 1 cup water to the Instant Pot, then add a steamer basket to the pot. Transfer the cubed sweet potatoes into the steamer basket. Cover the pot and press the “MANUAL” button. Cook on high for 8 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes. Release any residual pressure and uncover the Instant Pot. Stick a fork into the sweet potatoes to check to see if they are tender. Transfer the sweet potatoes to a bowl to mash.
- If you don’t have a big enough sauté pan for this, toss the pasta, California Black Ripe Olives, and baby kale in a large mixing bowl. Prepare the sauce in the pan and pour the sauce over the mixing bowl. Stir until everything is incorporated before transferring to the baking dish.
- If you don’t have a broiler, you can bake the mac and cheese at 350ºF for about 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is lightly golden brown and the cheese is bubbling on the sides. You want the temperature to be lower so that the kale doesn’t overcook and turn brownish.
- Make-ahead directions: You can make the mac and cheese the day before. Follow the directions up to step 11. Cover the pan and refrigerate overnight. Add the panko to the mac and cheese when you are ready to bake. You may need to add a few minutes to the total baking time.