Cinnamon and Cardamom Apple Muesli
This cinnamon and cardamom apple muesli is my kind of weekday breakfast. It is a filling and nutritious meal, and it takes 10 minutes or less to make!
Servings: 2 Servings
Cinnamon & Cardamom Apples
- 2 medium apples, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut, toasted
- pumpkin seeds
- dried cranberries
You can make the recipe as one big batch or in two on-the-go containers. To make one large portion, thoroughly mix all the muesli ingredients in one container and refrigerate overnight. To make two separate servings, divide the muesli ingredients between two jars, stir and refrigerate.
When you are ready to eat the muesli, chop the apples into 1/2-inch chunks. Toss the apples with the lemon juice, cinnamon, cardamom, and vanilla.
Serve the muesli topped with the spiced apples, toasted coconut, pumpkin seeds and cranberries.
- Prepping the apples ahead: Because the apples are tossed with lemon juice, you can prep them the night before and the apples shouldn't brown too much.
- Toasting coconut: To toast the coconut, throw it on a pan over medium heat. Let the coconut toast until lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Variations: In this recipe, I use 1/2 cup of plain yogurt and 1/2 cup of low-fat kefir to soak the muesli overnight. You can use any combination of your favorite yogurt or milk that you enjoy. Note that if you are using non-fat Greek yogurt, you will want to blend it with something runnier, such as kefir or milk. I tried using 1 cup of non-fat Greek yogurt once, and the texture of the muesli was chalky.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 553kcal | Carbohydrates: 89g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 14.7g | Saturated Fat: 6.1g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 246mg | Fiber: 11.5g | Sugar: 56.6g