I’m desperately trying to do a few more morning workouts every week, but it’s quite a difficult task to check off. Part of the problem is that I stay up way too late blogging, and my body wants every minute of sleep that it can negotiate with the clock. The other problem is, well, I have a hard time getting my mind ready for morning workouts. I can just about muster enough energy to get out of bed and turn on the kettle in the morning. But 30+ minutes of bringing the heart-rate up with exercise? I don’t think so.
In an effort to coax myself to waking up earlier, I decided to start prepping breakfasts the night before. Hopefully, the lure of a delicious and light breakfast will be enough motivation to wake up from my slumber. I could do pretty much anything for food.
I’ve made a version of chocolate overnight oats months ago, but this time, I decided to add a bunch of summer berries to the mix. This chocolate overnight oats recipe can be paired with any seasonal fruits!
These golden raspberries were calling my name when I walked past them at the farmers market (helped by the fact that I sampled a very ripe one). By the way, I’m a voracious sampler at the farmers market. I have no shame.
Chocolate Overnight Oats with Berries
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup lowfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 2 TBS blueberries
- 4 strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup golden raspberries, about 6-8
- 1/4 cup blackberries, about 4-5
- Mix the oats, yogurt, milk, chia seeds, cocoa powder, and honey together in a small bowl. Pour the contents into an airtight container, and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, pour the overnight oats in a bowl and top with the berries.