As I searched online for new dinner ideas, I came across a recipe on Dishing Up the Dirt for vegan collard wraps with chickpea walnut meat that looked delicious! Unfortunately, I didn’t have any collard greens, but there was a lovely bunch of swiss chard in my refrigerator waiting to be eaten. I was a bit reluctant to use the swiss chard, as I had never eaten it raw before. I wasn’t even sure if it was “proper” to eat swiss chard raw. Thankfully, the internet comes in very handy during these situations. Not only did I find swiss chard salad recipes, but I also found a swiss chard wrap recipe by Tasty Yummies. Based on the recipes I found, I made some delicious swiss chard wraps for dinner and enjoyed them with my own creamy cilantro-lime sauce.
Vegan Swiss Chard Wraps with Ground Chickpeas & Walnuts
- 6 swiss chard leaves
- 1 14- ounce can of chickpeas, about 1 1/2 cups, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1 whole red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 TBS soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder, optional
- Rinse the swiss chard leaves and pat dry. Chop off the stems of the swiss chard. You can use the stems for a stir fry dish or soup!
- In a food processor, blend the chickpeas and walnuts together.
- Pour the chickpea mixture into a small bowl and stir in the soy sauce. Add some garlic powder into the mixture if you want (this is a necessary step for me as I love garlic).
- Scoop out even portions of the chickpea mixture onto the swiss chard leaves. I placed the chickpea mixture close to the bottom of the leaves so that they would be easier to fold later. Top the chickpea mixture with the vegetables.
- Fold the swiss chard leaves into a wrap. I folded the left and right sides of the leaves toward the center first and then folded the top of each leaf down towards the stem.
- Enjoy these wraps on their own or with my creamy cilantro-lime sauce (recipe below)! Note: the cilantro-lime sauce is not vegan.
Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, about 1 to 1 1/2 cup
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 TBS lime juice
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
- Rinse the cilantro and and chop off the bottoms. It is fine to leave some of the stem in tact.
- Add all ingredients into a food processor or blender and mix until well incorporated.
- Enjoy with the sauce with the swiss chard wraps or use as a dipping sauce for other dishes!
Leave a Reply