I found a spaghetti squash mac and cheese recipe from Fit Sugar and decided to make my own version of it.
Cheesy Spaghetti Squash and Vegetables
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, roasted and flesh removed
- 2 1/2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil, add more if necessary
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 TBS olive oil, divided
- 1 TBS coconut flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a saute pan over medium high heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add in chopped onions.
- Once the onions start browning, add garlic, zucchini, kale, and red pepper. Saute for about 4 minutes or until the vegetables are fully cooked. Season with a bit of salt.
- Place the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Once the oil is heated, add the coconut flour and mix.
- When the oil and flour starts to bubble a little, pour in milk.
- Add the mozzarella and parmesan cheese when the milk bubbles.
- Stir until the cheese melts.
- Add in basil (and any other dried herbs) into the cheese mixture and stir.
- Pour the cheese mixture into the bowl with the spaghetti squash and mix.
- Fold in the sauteed vegetables with the spaghetti squash.
- Season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Use any type of milk that you want.
- Feel free to add more dried spices.