Got leftover kamut from the Creamy Chicken and Kamut Casserole? Add it to a salad! This kamut salad with creamy chipotle dressing is flavorful and packed with protein!
I am horrible with leftover grains. They always take a bit of time to cook, so I usually whip up a big batch with the best of intentions: use half of the cooked grains in one recipe and refrigerate the rest for another recipe during the week. Day by day, inch by inch, that tupperware of cooked grains gets shoved further and further back in the refrigerator. Two weeks later, when I finally dig that box of grains out of the fridge, I see that our moldy friends have gotten to the grains before I have. With a blink of an eye that whole thing goes straight to the trash.
Does that sound familiar to you? Embarrassingly that happens too often over ehre. We need a game plan.
I feel like this month’s theme for The Recipe Redux was directed right at people like me. We’re doing two for one dishes here—using the leftovers from a dish on the blog and repurposing it into a new recipe. Remember the Creamy Chicken and Kamut Casserole from Thursday? Let’s tackle some of those leftovers.
The kamut took me nearly an hour to cook, so you can bet your bottom dollar that I cooked a huge batch of it. I promised myself that I wouldn’t lose the kamut in the depths of my refrigerator this time.
Because the kamut is so chewy, they’re perfect to add to a salad for extra texture. Enjoy this as a side or your main meal!
Kamut Salad with Creamy Chipotle Dressing
Creamy Chipotle Dressing
- 1/4 cup (60g) lowfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lowfat milk (I used 2%)
- 1 TBS chipotle paste, see note below
- 1 TBS honey
- 1/2 TBS mayo
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp granulated garlic
- 4 cups arugula, about 4 large handfuls
- 1 cup (120g) cooked kamut
- 1 cup cubed roasted sweet potato, 1 large sweet potato
- 1 large red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup blueberries, small handful
- 1 boiled egg yolk, optional, crumbled
- shredded red beets, optional
- Whisk together the ingredients for the salad dressing and set aside.
- Toss the arugula, kamut, roasted sweet potato, red pepper, dates, radishes, and blueberries together.
- Lightly dress the salad. I used just over a half of it. Save any remaining dressing for later.
- Top the salad with the crumbled egg yolk and shredded red beets.
- Serve immediately.