I may have eaten a pound of chocolate last night. Whatever. There’s always time to work it off with a four or five-mile run today (maybe). AND there’s also time to make snacks.
I love snack foods, perhaps a bit too much. When I came across a recipe on Running With Real Food for lime and coconut energy bites, I knew I had to make some of my own. Here was my crack at the recipe:
Oh boy, they were absolutely delicious! I altered the recipe a bit to add more varieties of nuts in it (the original recipe called for 1 cup of cashews).
Nutty Lime & Coconut Bites
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup roasted unsalted sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup roasted unsalted pistachios
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut, unsweetened
- 2 TBS lime juice
- Place all nuts and coconut in a food processor and mix until they are coarsely chopped.
- Add dates to the nut and coconut mix and chop again. A sticky dough should start to form.
- Add lime juice into the mixture and blend one last time.
- Scoop out a small bit of dough and shape it into a small ball.
- Repeat until you have formed all of the dough into balls.
- Enjoy immediately or store them in the refrigerator.
- If your medjool dates are dry, soak them in water first for about 10 minutes.
- I like making smaller bites, so I was able to make 20 balls with this recipe. The original recipe was for 12 servings.
- You could also experiment with other seeds and nuts, but the pistachio/almond/cashew mixture worked for me.
- It is best to store these nutty lime bites in the refrigerator because it helps maintain the shape of them. They get very sticky if stored in room temperature.
Make these snacks this weekend, and let me know what you think!