Peppermint chocolate isn’t for the holidays only. These mint chocolate bites are the perfect way to bring a taste of Christmas to July!
At about this time of the year, I get the itch for peppermint-flavored chocolate. Really, peppermint chocolate anything should be served 365 days a year (366 days for leap years).
This month’s theme for the Recipe Redux is to cook with spirits:
From plain Jane vanilla extract to fancy-pants elderflower liqueur, we like to keep a little liquor in the kitchen. Show us how you like to cook, bake or mix-it-up with spirits, extracts and other alcohols. A splash of vodka makes summer sauces shine – and liqueurs brighten desserts: What’s your healthy recipe with spirit?
Considering that peppermint extracts qualify as a spirit, I seized the opportunity to make a batch of my favorite mint chocolate ganache.
Instead of using heavy cream, this ganache calls for coconut milk. It is so light and delicious, you’re going to want to dip it with everything. I’m not even kidding.Print
Mint Chocolate Bites
Makes 15 bites.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Total Time: 24 minutes
- Yield: 5 1x
- Category: snack, dessert, chocolate
- 1/4 cup (59ml) full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp peppermint extract, divided
- 1 cup (200g) pitted medjool dates (I packed in the dates)
- 3/4 cup (70g) walnut halves
- 1/3 cup (20g) unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 and 1/2 TBS pistachios (optional)
- In a small saucepan, heat up the coconut milk over medium-high heat. Once the coconut milk boils remove the saucepan from heat.
- Pour in the chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract, and stir until you get a creamy chocolate sauce.
- Mix the medjool dates, walnuts, flaked coconut, and 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract in a food processor until everything is chopped to tiny bits. Take a tablespoon of the date mixture, squeeze it tight, then form it into a ball. Feel free to make these into larger bites.
- Dip each bite into a bit of the mint chocolate ganache. Garnish with pistachios or your favorite toppings!
- You can eat these right away or freeze them for 15 minutes to let the ganache set. Refrigerate the bites and any leftover ganache in separate containers.
Looking for more snack bite recipes? Check out these carrot cake snack bites!